- An application may be requested by telephone or by written communication from the voter who seeks to vote by absentee ballot.
- An application may be requested, should elector/voter not be able to request himself or herself, orally by the parent, child, spouse, sibling, legal guardian, those empowered with power of attorney for the elector’s affairs or agent of the elector only.**
- All absentee applications must be notarized by an official authorized to administer oaths for absentee balloting. Applications of persons disabled need not be notarized but must be witnessed by a person 18 years of age or older.
- SEE ABSENTEE RULES BELOW for further explanation of who is allowed to vote absentee and who is allowed to vote by mail absentee.
**MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972**
SEC. 23-15-627. Distribution of absentee ballot application by registrar; form of application.
The registrar shall be responsible for furnishing an absentee ballot application form to any elector authorized to receive an absentee ballot. Absentee ballot applications shall be furnished to a person only upon the oral or written request of the elector who seeks to vote by absentee ballot; however, the parent, child, spouse, sibling, legal guardian, those empowered with a power of attorney for that elector’s affairs or agent of the elector may orally request an absentee ballot application on behalf of the elector. An absentee ballot application must have the seal of the circuit or municipal clerk affixed to it and be initialed by the registrar or his deputy in order to be utilized to obtain an absentee ballot. A reproduction of an absentee ballot application shall not be valid unless it is a reproduction provided by the office of the registrar of the jurisdiction in which the election is being held and which contains the seal and initials required by this section.
In the event of a primary election:
- March 22, 2013 – Absentee ballots available for Primary.
- April 6, 2013 – 12:00 is the voter registration deadline for the Primary Election.
- In the event of a Primary Election, the City Clerk’s office will be open April 27, 2013 from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 for voting by absentee ballot.
- During a Primary Election, absentee Voters must vote in person by the deadline of May 4, 2013 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 by mail May 6 by 5:00 p.m.
During general elections:
- If there is no Primary Election, Absentee ballots for general election should be available April 22, 2013. Time will differ if there is a Primary. In the case of a primary, applications/ballots won’t be available until May 7, 2013.
- May 4, 2013, Voter registration for general election DEADLINE 12:00.
- May 25, 2013. The City Clerk’s office will be open for voting by absentee ballot in person from 8:00 – 12:00
- During a General Election, absentee Voters must vote in person by the deadline of June 1, 2013 from 8:00 a.m.-12:00 by mail June 3 at 5:00 p.m.
City Clerk’s Office – Voter Registration
PO Drawer 457
Amory, MS 38821
Call 662-256-5721 for more information